Danville State Hospital
The Danville State Hospital opened in 1872 as "The State Hospital for the Insane at Danville" and was PA's third public asylum. The properly initially sat on 250 acres when the main Kirkbride building was constructed. Shortly after opened, the building was severely damaged by a fire in 1881. It took over 5 years to rebuilt the female wards and a section of the male wards. The hospital grew through the 1900's and additional buildings were constructed on site. The Central Inspection Board of the American Psychiatric Association awarded the hospital approval in the excellent care of patients. The hospital is still in full operation today, with the top floor of the Kirkbride vacant due to a decrease in the patient population.
SPECIAL NOTE: Permission was obtained to document this location. This is an operational facility and is not open to the public to be photographed. Please do not trespass on hospital grounds, you will face the possibility of arrest in violation of patient privacy.